What, you might be asking, are you blogging at 0240 in the morning for? I would answer I am working of course. Is that what you should be doing when you are working? Well, no. I shouldn't even be on the internet- I like to live on the edge. And, in my defense (for those of you who are worrying about the patients I am neglecting) my patients are blissfully easy (I probably just jinxed myself with that). One is a "walkie-talkie," meaning they can do everything for themselves (you know, move, feed themselves, toilet themselves). Walkie talkies are not common on the ICU, but I will take them when I can get them. The other patient is not quite a walkie-talkie, but he is lucid and can move himself with minimal assist, so he is also in good shape. Basically, they are doing pretty well (and I still check on them very frequently). So here I am blogging. I just had some random hospital thoughts and quotes I'd like to share with all of you. Sorry no pictures for this post.
Dr. Cardiologist to Lindsay, "So, how did you get to be a nurse at age 14?"
Random questions we were discussing one night:
- Would you let your spouse go to a strip club if he/she told you before hand?'
- Would you let your spouse go out to dinner with a coworker, if it was work relate?
- Would you let your spouse go out to dinner with an ex (either girlfriend/boyfried or ex spouse)?
I was among the more conservitive of the answerers, and my face even got red when they first sprung the whole strip club thing on me.
Having to look at sputum (aka spit), emesis (aka vomit), and stool (aka poop) for weird discolorations such as blood, bile, and brisinger (I coudn't think of another b word)
Patient to Lindsay, "You are my nurse??" (somewhat incredulously)
Lindsay to patient, "I do look a little young."
Patient to Lindsay, "A little?"
Going home and still hearing the high-pitched beeps of oxygen sat monitors that are alarming (definitely my least favorite alarm sound).
Charge nurse to Lindsay, "Do you mind calling your dad and asking him to come in for a consult?" (The patient ended up not needing a surgeon because their blood was way too thin and there's no way someone is going to put in a line with someone with an INR of 4.8, so said dad did not get bothered)
Lindsay to another RN: "Do you ever just have no time or desire to put up with whiney people?"
RN: "Isn't that every night?"
Looking down at your arm and realizing you have poop on it (that's actually a nursing home experience- I've been good about keeping poop off myself once I graduated to the hospital).
10 comments:
ha ha!! Okay that last one was gross!!!!!!
Well.....Lindsay, it is so good to hear from you! I wondered what those nurses were doing so quiet in the weeeee hrs of the morning!!!! I know you are a much better nurse than most of the ones I have had... I just found my user name & password so I can actually comment on the Blogs now. It is so nice to be able to keep up with my Grandchildren & Great Grandchildren! Have a Great Day!
The poop down your arm is going to come back once you have that kid. Only it's not going to be all down your arm, it's going to be everywhere (brutal honesty baby)!
You are hilarious! It's great to look so young, it'll be awesome when you're 40 or so and people think your late 20ish. And as for the strip club thing, I can see your red face I imagine mine would have looked very similar!!!
Nice 14 year-old comments!! Take it as a compliment!!!
Ha, nasty. I'm glad I didn't inherit the medical genius in our family. The comments about your age are hilarious. And kinda sad. Maybe you should get an attachment to your nametag that also lists your age. And RN status.
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Kyle's mom just told us your good news!!! We are super happy for you two. SEcond, if you are having a baby, get used to poop on your arm (and shirt, pants, socks, the baby's entire body (ankle to shoulder..) it is everywhere. You can't stop it. Once you have kids, you will be dealing with poop forever.
I don't know HOW you do your job. But it's quite entertaining to be the one reading about it. :-)
Those are some funny and kind of gross things. I'm glad I get to hear many of these stories at home. Most people probably wouldn't find our family's dinner conversations very appropriate, but I find them interesting and entertaining and that's all that matters.
Ha! This was a funny one and I enjoyed it immensely. If you ever do find brisingr, tell me, and I'll sign up for nursing school.
hilarious!
Post a Comment