Sunday, December 7, 2008

Both the fates and science agree. It's a Boy!

Now just over twenty weeks into her pregnancy, the much anticipated ultrasound appointment had arrived. However, prior to letting the science take all of the guesswork out of it, Lindsay's sister Maren and her husband Rikki insisted that we see what the fates had to say about the gender of our first child. All it would require was a box cake, some food coloring, and a little bit of baking know-how. We agreed and thus began what we hope becomes a long running family tradition. Maren and Rikki made the cake, a layered round, with half dyed pink and half dyed blue. They then expertly frosted it rendering the different sides indistinguishable. Next the moment of truth. The mom-to-be spun the cake and then proceeded to cut a slice with eyes closed. To both of our pleasure the slice came out blue (and only blue so there will be no ambiguity there) and our feeling that our first child would be a boy was confirmed leaving no room for doubt.



The next day we anxiously went to our appointment, especially me, as I had not been present for the first ultrasound or to hear the heartbeat. I don't think I fully grasped how much there was to worry about with a developing fetus (spina bifida, down syndrome, cleft palate, right number of limbs, fingers, and toes, not to mention proper organ development). Luckily all was well as the technician took twenty minutes locating every organ and limb and giving us every view possible of our little one. About five minutes into the session she pointed out an extra appendage and told us It's a Boy! We of course told her we knew that already because the cake told us so. So here are a few of the pictures we got to take home with us. The baby is totally cute, but you can't help but think he looks a little like a creepy alien with his big head and being able to see his full curled spine. He was also very shy as despite twenty minutes of poking and prodding he refused to turn toward us and give us a good face shot.
Needless to say both parents are very excited and we appreciate all the support we have received from family and friends. In response to the most commonly asked question, no, we do not have a name yet nor have we yet to really narrow it down. However, we will keep you all up to date.

14 comments:

Kerstin said...

Congrats!! I LOVE having a boy and I am sure you will too. Also you look great!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Boys are so much fun. Busy and full-contact, but fun! Also, you look really good. It's a big hit to my self-esteem that we are due at the same time. I look like a beached whale compared to you!!!! I'm just going to tell myself that that picture is the "before Lindsay got pregnant" shot (because, dang girl, I want to look that skinny when I'm NOT pregnant)!!

Kim said...

Congrats Aaron and Lindsay. We are so excited for you!!!

Jen said...

Maren and Rikky really did a great job on that cake. How fun. I totally agree we should make it a tradition.

And yippe for a new nephew.

Grandma Schwitters said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you! I love that little profile. He will be our 9th Great Grandchild. (We needed another Boy since the girls are ahead right now) Can't wait to see you both!

The Hills said...

Congratulations! Lindsay, 20 weeks and you don't even look pregnant...I'm impressed!

AnnaMarie said...

Hey guys! Congratulations! Just thought that I would say hello. I am glad that Stacy finally joined the blogging world so that I could make the connection! Good luck with babying!

Maggie said...

we're so excited for you two! hurray for boys :)

Megan said...

Aren't you supposed to LOOK pregnant by this point?? :-) Congratulations on the boy! I'm so excited for you guys. I love the cake idea - that's so fun!

Lehis said...

Congrats on the boy. We love boys at our house. I am totally convinced that I will have ALL boys. And I'm okay with that, I love my boys. And you look amazing. Eat a couple hamburgers-K? Kidding. Enjoy all the fetal moments. Have you seen the baby move from one side of your stomach to the other? You will. And its FREAKY!! Congrats again!! We are so excited for you!

Diane Ripplinger, Gregg Ripplinger said...

What a beautiful little face and spine and limbs! Any name you choose will be great, unless, of course, it's "Jennifer" because that one is WAY over used. And the grandparents are definitely excited to have his little face to kiss...and wipe peanut butter off of! And we look forward to outfitting him, and gifting him, and babysitting him, etc., etc., etc.

Julie Somerhalder said...

I now have an account so I can Say Congratulations on your Blog! Dad and I are so excited. Dads first comment was "the Somerhalder name will carry on". I can't wait to hold this little one and give him hugs and kisses and rock him in my arms. I know I am too far away to babysit, but if you ever want to take off without your little one I am available....this is why I retired!! Lindsay you will have so much fun raising a boy, and Aaron, I know you will teach him all you know about SPORTS!

Maren and Rik said...

Yeah for the cake! I'm very excited for you two!

Jessica B Photography said...

Aaaawwwwwwww!! Congratulations!! I have more random baby stuff for you guys. I'll bring it by sometime... after the snow melts...