This may take even more than two parts-sorry to those of you who don't care about pictures of animals, but that's pretty much what this post is. I figured since Australia has such a unique (random question shouldn't it be an unique? but doesn't that just sound wrong? perhaps it has something to do with the vowel and an 'n') anyways, variety of animals, I thought they deserved a few pictures.

The next day we started with the Fetherdale Wildlife Park. Basically, it's a small privately owned zoo that allows you to pet some of the animals- or at the very least be very close to them. It was one of my favorite parts of Australia. There were wallabies and kangaroos all over the place that you could feed and touch. There were koalas also everywhere, though you could not indiscriminately touch them.
Wallabies (I am not sure the difference between wallabies and kangaroos, though kangaroos seem to be bigger).
There were lots of different birds there, many roaming free (any brid of prey though was in a cage). Doesn't Aaron look handsome in this picture?
A wombat- they never came out of those logs. Many of the animals are nocturnal, so they kept to themselves.
Me and the kangaroo!!!
Aaron and kangaroo. He (the kangaroo, not Aaron :)) just sat there for several hours (we went back to that area later, and there he was still!).

Those weren't even half of the koalas pictures we took (in addition to some videos). I told you I loved them. I even bought a koala key chain.
A Cassowary. Don't they remind you of Archaeopteryx (the fossil link between birds and dinosaurs)?!

A Tasmanian Devil. He is blurry because all he did was run in a circle around this tree. It was actually pretty pathetic and sad. Whitney commented animals will just run around in paths when they are bored/unhappy. :( Not so much like the crazy twister "Taz" we all know. Needless to say PITA people would not have like Featherdale, with the free range animals and the somewhat small cages, but it really was still awesome and this was the only animal I felt bad for.
A red kangaroo (they are bigger- isn't its tail ginormous!).There was no petting of the big kangas.
This guy was adorable as well, I don't remember its name. Cute pokiness.

White Dingo. They we really pretty and very much looked like dogs, but you could tell they could take you out.

Albino kangaroo. Apparently, they don't survive in the wild because they don't blend in. I don't know why, but that makes me giggle.

Emus! I was eating an apple, and they tried to poke my hand off. I stayed clear of them after that. Random boy and his dad in picture- the boy informed me that the emus "loved his dad."

Did I mention I loved the koalas?

After we left Featherdale, we headed back into Sydney. This is in the Queen Victoria Building, which is really nice (posh if you will) mall. This Christmas was gorgeous.

We went to the Sydney Aquarium, which is supposed to be one of the best in the world. I thought it was pretty good, reminded me of an aquarium. It was still very neat.


You could see straight into his head- I'm hoping his brain is just farther back.
This is a seahorse- it totally looks like a plant, no?

Neat pic of jelly fish.

Shots in the aquarium.



We ate at this wonderful Malaysian? place. It took forever to take our orders but they literally got our food out in less than five minutes. I'm still not sure if I want to think about how they did that. The food was fantastic though. Next random thought- there were a lot of different ethnicities (especially Asian and Indian) in Australia- perhaps more than the United States.

I had to get this picture. Rather than exit signs they have "Way Out" signs. Every so often there were "No Way Out" signs. How discouraging.
7 comments:
Great pictures. Your little poky animal is an echidna... one of my favorite animals.
Yay!! I loved the pictures. I can't remember if I have ever seen a koala bear, but I can imagine I would fall in love as well. I have this extremely cute picture of Landon sleeping on my belly when he was a baby and his little arms and legs were around my sides. I call him my little koala bear in that picture. So cute.
Other question your post made me think about: why do we say "an N"? It's not a vowel. Hmmmm.
Also: "There is no way out . . . of course, there's always MY way!" (paraphrased)
That sign is funny.
What cool animal pictures! The koalas truly are adorable. Wow. And that cool bird/dinosaur. And the long-tailed kangaroo. And . . . all the pictures.
The Tasmanian devil is sad and pathetic. Perhaps he should call the Loony Toons people.
i'm glad you got some pictures at the aquarium. cool stuff! i have a koala video on my blog, i thought you might like :)
I am so glad you got to go and see so many fantastic things! Thanks for the fun pics!
sounds like an AMAZING trip! I think all of us cousins need to get together and share our stories of travel!
jj
I'm missing your updated blog. Been just a little busy, eh, Lou??
Post a Comment