Thursday, December 18, 2008

Looks like snow, smells like snow, tastes like snow, well, it must be snow....in Las Vegas?


So this post will mostly be for the benefit of our avid readers that don't live in the Winter Wonderland that is the Las Vegas Valley. Yesterday was an adventure to say the least. Having previously (on Monday) received significant snow in the Summerlin region I assumed that Las Vegas had already met it's quota of one good snowfall a year. Boy, was I mistaken. It began snowing at about 11 am and did not stop until well into the evening. Boulder City essentially became an island. Both roads heading out of Boulder towards Arizona were shut down. Railroad Pass more closely resembled Donner pass and was eventually shut down, after Lindsay spent 3 1/2 hours moving about 4 miles to get through. (She'll have to fill you in on her experience as I would not be able to do it justice) The only way in and out of Boulder City was the Old Lake Mead road that goes through Lake Las Vegas all the way down to Lake Mead and then back up to Boulder City. Even that road was being monitored by Police requesting proof of residency before letting me into town. Reports and my naked eye indicate that as much as 8 inches of snow dropped on our little desert town yesterday. Needless to say Las Vegas is not prepared for such precipitous events. (They were waiting for snowplows from Baettie) The airport shutdown to all incoming and outgoing flights and school was cancelled for Thursday. Yeah for getting a snow day in Las Vegas. I hope you enjoy the pictures and I'll make sure Lindsay posts a follow-up blog. I also included a picture of our deco'd house pre-arrival of the aforementioned whiteness.




6 comments:

Jen said...

I love all this snow! Even if it did strand me in Reno an extra night. Everything looks so pretty COVERED in snow. Especially your house.

I can't believe they asked for your ID. And that Lindsay was stuck for four hours. Nasty.

Julie Somerhalder said...

It looks so beautiful! I really like the picture in your back yard with the palm tree in the background! I can't wait to hear Linday's version....Poor thing. I hope you had some good music and a book to read, but knowing you, I'm sure you had both!

Unknown said...

It does look pretty. Although the snow seems to do that to things. Sad for Lindsay though - driving at a snail's pace is never any fun.

Whitney said...

Eight inches! That's nuts! I'm glad you were both able to get back to BC...only a little worse for wear :)

Case said...

I just realized you have a blog! Can we be blog friends?
Congrats on the boy!!

Lynnie said...

Lindsay! Erin Lam found your blog and let all of us (on facebook) know the address. I'm so excited for you! And excited to tell you that I'm in nursing school. I loved that post! I can already relate to a lot of it. Looking forward to hearing more from you and your family!!!!

Lynn Smartypants