After January there was not too much traveling, just working and thinking more about the baby (though not doing too much about it). You would think for being the somewhat anal and controlling person that I am predisposed to be I would have had my nursery ready many months ago, but, no, we are just now getting to it and really only now because the baby is probably going to come early. First, here are some pregnancy pictures.
Me at about 7 months. (Sorry about the glare, but I liked how I look better in this one [is it alright for pregnant women to be conceited?]) Ü
Me at 8 months or so (I guess I'm still technically 8 months, this was taken 3 weeks ago)
So, here's the preterm labor story:
I had been feeling "tightening" fairly consistently starting about 2 weeks ago. I assumed they were Braxton Hicks contractions, and though moderately worried, I didn't do too much about it beside try to drink more water (I think that is the cure all for all things pregnancy- DRINK WATER). I was working last Sunday and felt pain, pressure and crampiness in my pelvis and lower back. This disconcerted me, so I talked to my charge nurse and she had me immediately go up to L&D triage and they hooked me up to the monitors (this was at 2 a.m.). I was feeling somewhat stupid because after they had checked me out, everything looked okay. 1 or 2 contractions but nothing serious. One last thing: check the cervix. I was 2-3 cm dilated and 60-70% effaced! Whoops. No going back to work, and no going home. Is it bad I felt somewhat vindicated because then at least I wasn't a stupid, ancy first time mom who just jumped the gun? Anyways, they tried to stop my crampiness/ contractions with terbutaline, but it didn't last long (gives you a weird sensation though!). My perinatologist was contacted and they started me on Procardia (which is just weird- it's a blood pressure drug- a calcium channel blocker for the medically minded- and I am somewhat surprised at its effectiveness). To make a long story short (too late), I was in the hospital for 3 days. The baby is just fine. In fact, even if he had been born then (at 34 weeks), he would have been healthy and viable, albeit small and skinny- he would have had a stay in the NICU for a while as well. My very very nice perinatologist schooled me about Braxton Hicks contractions:
Mr. nice doctor: "Do you know what the definition of a Braxton Hicks contraction is?"
Me: "Um, when you have contractions that aren't painful?"
Dr.: "When you have cervical changes."
Me: "So I wasn't having Braxton Hicks."
Dr.: "No you were not."
And there you have it, Lindsay is one of the lucky women who has cervical changes without really realizing it! Enough about my cervix, though. I was able to go home on bed rest last Wednesday. I promised the bed rest gods I would be good and really take it easy, and I have been. I don't make my meals or clean anything up. My poor mother-in-law is pretty much my slave. ;) I do feel bad being a lazy louse, but I know it's what I need to be doing. I go off the tocolytics (anticontraction drugs) at 36 weeks- this Friday, and then we'll see from there. It would be somewhat comical if I carried him (who is still nameless FYI) full term. lol
Here is me in the hospital (we need "I'm too Sexy" playing in the background).
I want to thank all the love and support I have received the past few weeks. Everyone has been SO thoughtful and caring, it really has been wonderful. Thanks!
12 comments:
Heh, this is one of my favorite posts ever. From Rafiki to Clue to "enough about my cervix." You're hilarious and the pregnant pictures are so cute. Blogging is a totally acceptable bed rest activity, right?
I am sorry about the bedrest, it is the worst, but it is nice that you can do it at home. You are such a cute pregnant woman, if I could look like you when I was pregnant I would want to be pregnant all the time.
You have to have one of the cutest pregnant bellies ever! I am sorry about having to be in the hospital, and I am glad you didn't have him at 34 weeks - yes, he would have been healthy, but it still isn't a fun experience. Do you and Aaron like mushrooms? I am bringing dinner on Wednesday - I don't want to make something you won't like.
I'm glad to hear everything is okay. It is no fun playing the waiting game. At least your not huge and swelling up :)
And I'm sure Julie doesn't mind being your slave... you're harvesting her first grandchild!
And don't you love the hospital gowns? I actually do find them quite comfy... but they truly are NOT sexy. At all. But whose looking to feel sexy when you're having a baby.
We are wishing luck your way that everything happens safely, quickly, and with as little pain as possible!
You look darling even with an IV and a hospital negligee! And I happen to know for a fact that your mother-in-law is happier helping you out right now than any place else she could be. Enjoy the pampering. When little Mr. Impatient gets there you will not have much time for it.
Sending you my best.... Laurie
First of all, you have to be one of the cutest pregnant women in existence. We are the same 'farness' along (yes, I made it up) but you are so much cuter than me that it makes my self-esteem plummet just a little. I'm sorry that you had to be in the hospital but yay for him being healthy! Good luck - I can't wait to see pictures of him!
Good Luck with bed rest, it is nice you were able to do it at home. And there is nothing wrong with feeling vindicated...I walked into L&D with my pants soaking wet and the nurses were testing for amniotic fluid and the first few times it came back negative and I just kept saying, "I know I didn't pee my pants, I know I didn't pee my pants!" Even though, it would have been more convenient if that had been the case, it was nice to know I wasn't an idiot.
Good luck with everything. 34 weeks isn't terrible, but 36 weeks is SO much better!
Wow, quite the story. You take it easy my friend and read and sleep and enjoy the quiet :) I'm glad we are friends!
Nice hospital gown picture!!! Are you up for visitors?
Glad you're hanging in there! We are excited to see what happens in the next couple of weeks!
Great shoes!
Hey super cute bellie!! Also, I see a pic with you guys and the Golden Gate bridge behind you, where was I!! I love visitors!!
Post a Comment